Our 2019 year-round programming for our BOSS student-athletes and their non-athlete peers includes
one-on-one academic coaching, mentoring, real world experiences and opportunities for advocacy and
service. Highlights have included the following:
- Saturday sessions on each of the 6 BOSS Pillars (Economically, Mentally, Physically, Socially, Emotionally and Spiritually BOSS);
- Regular, one-on-one academic coaching in English, History, Math, Science and Technology;
- Year-round STEAM activities in partnership with Microsoft
- A visit to Dodgers Stadium to participate in a celebration of Jackie Robinson’s centennial birthday, including a Q & A with Dodgers manager Dave Roberts
- A visit to the Microsoft Theatre for the 2019 ESPYS, presented by Capital One, a celebration of the best in sports;
- Participation in the Seat at the Table event hosted by Fox Sports’ Rob Parker and former Raiders/Browns head coach Hue Jackson. The event brought together 150+ leading and emerging sports executives, entertainment moguls, professional athletes, brand strategists, content creators and industry tastemakers. The evening included an exclusive, first glimpse of the LA Stadium, a taste of LA’s finest cuisines & craft cocktails, and networking with Rob Parker and Hue Jackson as they shared the keys for achieving success in the sports, media and entertainment worlds. Dinner for the evening was Fueled by Nybll – Fueling world champion athletes and the coolest companies on the planet.
- a visit to the Samuel Goldwyn Theatre to participate in the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Science “Careers in Film” event
Here’s a short video that captures some of the excitement of our most recent BOSS Saturday, an interactive experience “War Zone Bootcamp…It’s All About the Lyrics and a Battle for the Mind”, where we examined Hip Hop and Rap music as a way to consider the concepts of perception versus reality and critical thinking.
Enjoy a few pictures from a recent BOSS Saturday around our Mentally BOSS Pillar, where we exposed the boys to coding courtesy of Microsoft, and welcomed UCLA’s all-time leading rusher, turned Green Bay Packers draft pick to Rams front office staff following a career ending injury suffered during his rookie season, Jonathan Franklin, for a conversation around dealing with and fighting through the challenges of life. Faith. Persistence. BOSS!
Here’s a short video that captures some of the excitement from a BOSS Saturday around our Mentally BOSS Pillar. Our boys were joined by a group of architects, computer scientists, designers and software developers for a day of exploring STEAM careers, requirements and conversations around current and their future projects.
Here’s a short video that captures some of the excitement from another BOSS Saturday, when our student-athletes were joined by 6 current and former NFL players (including former NFL All-Pros Ron Brown and Greg Townsend, former All-American’s Darnell Bing and Uchenna Nwosu (2018 2nd round pick of the Chargers), former USC great and 4th round pick Will Pole and former All-Pac-12 performer turned law student, Jeremiah Allison) for our most recent BOSS Saturday. In addition to exploring success strategies, how they overcame the obstacles they each faced, what they would have done different…universally pay more attention to education…. and, most important the value of the persistence they developed (more valuable than talent, genius or education) to stay the course.