“For these are all our children and we will all profit by or pay for what they become.” James Baldwin
High school students are under-performing nationally, and more than 1/3 of them are dropping out of school for various reasons, including a lack of connection to the school, a lack of motivation and a perception that school is boring and classes are not interesting. While student-athletes are matriculating to college, there continues to be a large disparity between the graduation and life success rates of White student-athletes and Black student-athletes.
The BOSS™ program:
- Open to all boys, most concerned with low to moderate-income boys.
- Is long-term — we work consistently with BOSS™ athletes, from middle school through college
- Is inclusive — we do not “cherry-pick” students
- Assures financial support for college
- Assures a consistent personal relationship with each BOSS™ athlete
- Promotes family engagement with all BOSS™ athletes
BOSS Pillars, the principles through which we turn dreamers into achievers
What Makes BOSS™ Unique:
- Long-term.We follow the same group of children from middle school all the way through college, providing a comprehensive program of support along the way.
- Inclusive.We do not “cherry-pick” students – rather, we welcome all student-athletes who want to develop “whole”, positioned and prepared to lead lives of purpose. The ESP team works closely with BOSS™ athletes and their families, and service providers to manage the unique needs on a case-by-case basis.
- Comprehensive. While we are dedicated to promoting the academic success of BOSS™ athletes, we focus just as intently on building life skills and fostering students’ ongoing social-emotional development.
- Flexible. The “BOSS™ program” is tailored to suit the particular needs of the communities in which our programs operate.
- Leveraged. Strategic partnerships at the local, state, and national levels ensure an integrated continuum of engagement and support for BOSS™ athletes on the pathway to success.
Click to see what coaches, current and former pros have to say about the BOSS™ “process”
Current and Former Pros:
Here is what just a few participants had to say about their BOSS™ experience:
Congratulations on a fantastic effort to show students the options associated with a career in sports. I am happy to report that every student that I had the pleasure of engaging was interested, engaged, and excited to have the opportunity to take part in the event.
My son was so highly impressed with you and what you spoke of he almost could not get all the words out. So that said, it is hard to impress him but you have. I send blessings and angels to guide you and yours in the future.
This has been an extraordinary past two days and a very rewarding experience for which I am glad I missed class.
Thanks for believing in my son.
It was truly a wonderful event. The young men inspired me with their positive energy and their goals for the future. You are truly doing God’s work.
Today was a beautiful thing. You’ve created an amazing event. Kids were great, and a wonderful collection of mentors.